2.01.2008

I Really Like Your Hair by Digby Beaumont

100 words

"When striking up new friendships," Laurence had read on the internet, "make people feel good about themselves."

He called out, "Best dry cleaner's around."

"Excuse me?"

"Prompt service. Great prices. You do alterations, too."

The man avoided eye contact as he laid the suit on the counter. So Laurence tried again. "You know, I really like your hair."

"What?"

"Where do you get it cut, may I ask?"

"Nowhere." The man scowled. "My wife cuts it."

Outside, Laurence replayed the conversation over in his mind; where had he gone wrong? He'd definitely have to look on that website again tonight.




Digby Beaumont is a writer based in Brighton , England . His short stories and flash fictions have been published in literary magazines and journals as well as in the anthologies Small Voices, Big Confessions and Late-Night River Lights. He won a Spoiled Ink Writer's Choice Award in 2006.

Copyright 2008 Digby Beaumont

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful poem. You never know what people are thinking when you strike up a conversation and not all like to be flattered. This poem works for me on so many levels but most of all made me smile.